Guide To: Roof Repairs and Roof Replacement
Most would agree, a home isn’t a home without a solid roof over it. With an average lifespan of 20 to 25 years, a roof is also something that is often taken for granted. It’s easy to see when your yard, driveway, siding or deck need repair, but knowing when your home needs roof repairs or roof replacement is a bit farther out of reach.
To make sure your roof is adequately protecting your home and your family from the elements, we recommend an annual visual check to ensure any needed roof repairs are done timely. This is especially important with a standard asphalt shingle roof.
Signs your home needs roof repairs or roof replacement:
- Missing granules – Granules are the “stone-like” material on the surface of an asphalt
shingle that protects your home from leaks.
- Curled or cracked shingles.
- Missing shingles.
- Moss or mold growth – Any plant or organic material can cause water to stay on the surface of the roof causing granules to erode and fall off. This is particularly common in damp environments.
- Old chimney flashing – Chimney flashing is the seal around the base of the chimney where it meets the roof. If your home’s flashing is cement or tar, you might need to replace it with a metal flashing for a tighter seal to prevent leaks into your home.
- Weak or “spongy” areas – Keep in mind that you might not be able to find weak places by just looking at your roof. Walking on your roof to check for weak areas can be dangerous if you are not an experienced contractor and/or lack the proper fall protection equipment, please contact a professional.
Another good indication that your roof might be due for replacing or repairs is that other roofs in your neighborhood are being replaced. It’s common that most neighborhoods are built within a year or two of each other meaning they will be on a similar maintenance schedule.
It’s important to keep in mind that, even if you do discover trouble spots, not all roofs need replacing. A good contractor will be able to assess the severity and degree of the damage and will provide you with options to replace, or repair wherever necessary. The safety, longevity, and security of your home must come first.
Regular inspections, maintenance, and roof repairs can help your roof last the full 20 to 25 years. If you think your home needs roof repairs or roof replacement, call the certified contractors at ARC Contracting to schedule a free inspection and consultation detailing your roofing needs and maintenance option. We serve the Appleton, WI and many other parts of WI.
If you are worried that the cost of a new roof might be costly, visit https://www.arccontracting.com/financing/ to learn more about available financing options.